Thursday, March 29, 2012

Forever 21

Holding the dream of making it big in the fashion industry can be a risky and expensive dream. It will take hard work, some patience and money. But to gain experience working around clothes and gaining knowledge from fashion buyers and fashion visuals would be awesome. I have to start my knowledge somewhere and I gain my experience by working at a retail store.  I work at one of the biggest and most popular clothing store, Forever 21.  This store has come along way from being a small-owned clothing store to opening so many more, even expanding to different countries. As a person who loves to shop there and who loves fashion and shopping in general, I was really excited to get the job. I took this as a learning experience. Sometimes you have to work your way from the bottom to get to the top. So far working there I learned a lot from watching the fashion visuals work. They are responsible for deciding what products are placed in the store, they also decide where the items go and they create different themes for the entire store. The coolest part about being a visual are that they are able to design window displays, mannequins and different sections of the store. It is awesome that their vision are displayed for all of the customers to see. It is because of their display that customers are persuaded to enter the store and buy the garments. So the way they display garments are really important. Working at Forever 21 I get to see new trends come in first hand which is also pretty cool. I am able to witness what goes into designing store displays and the process of deciding what trends to put out onto the floor
 


One of the aspect that I like about working at a clothing store is seeing the store transform themes from one season to the next. Every so often, depending on the products we have, the season, or the trend, the whole entire store have a change of floor set. These groups of pictures are the floor set board for season of Spring. Parts of the stores are divided into themes. These boards are on display at work to give us an idea of what we should expect from the changes and also to give us an idea so we will not come to work confused. I really like that as a sales associate I can still be involved in some visual work. It is pretty cool to see where the inspirations for the colors, textures and styles come from. Before working at Forever 21 I never realized there was a process behind it all, I also never knew they changed concepts according to seasons and style. Seeing the boards and the floor set come to life inspires me to want to learn more, not only about retail, but also learn about the inside job and about what it takes to make the store look as amazing as it does. These groups of pictures are just a few of the themes in the store, we have three floors so there is a lot of themes and spaces to cover. In the photos we have: Gatsby Garden, Totally Nineties; fashion inspired by no other than the 90s era, and Retro Rivera; retro clothing, a bit vintage with a lot of polka dots and stripes.

1 comment:

  1. This is an awesome post! I am also working at Forever 21, It is good to not just see it as a part time job but an opportunity to learn fashion, styles, visual and so on.

    ReplyDelete