Thursday, March 29, 2012

Fashionista...Fashionisto?

Fashion! Fashion! Yes everyone wears clothes but how do you define your style? How do you wear a garment that everyone else have and own it to make it completely unique and you? There are so many ways that I can define my style because there are a slew of ways that I can wear an outfit to make it my own.  I am really interested in vintage clothing, but with a modern twist. Sometimes I feel like I was born in the wrong era because of how interested I am in vintage fashion. I grew up loving the movie “Grease” because of the pencil skirt and poodle skirt style with big hair. Although that type of vintage style does not translate into my own style today I still am intrigued by old time classic looks. What really inspires my style is hippie 1960s era. I love fringes, high wasit shorts, headbands, rock band tee shirts and maxi skirts. I would say that 1960s vintage with a modern street style edge defines my style the most. I get my inspiration for this style from looking at magazines, off of what I see people wear, my mother’s closet, and from searching old photos to get ideas. Style from the 60s is not my only inspiration to what I wear, but it is what I feel I can relate to most. What makes fashion so fun is being able to mix and match outfits to fit my mood and expression. Also being able to take a shirt that someone else may have, but wearing it differently to fit my personal aesthetic. With fashion you don’t have to just have one style, there are so many different ways you can experiment with fashion. Maybe for many people garments are just clothes you wear to cover up, but for me it is so much more than that.
To other,s fashion is art. There are people who live and breathe fashion and express their creativity through fashion. I feel that fashion is definitely a way to express yourself. When you first meet someone, before actually talking to them their appearance is what you notice first. What does your style say about you? I want my fashion sense to translate that I am mature, mysterious and you can see by my appearance that I am into fashion because that is what I love!
My interest in fashion developed when I was a kid. I think it started first with my love of art and creativity.  As a kid I loved to draw, that was my ultimate way of expressing myself and I just found it so fun to challenge myself as an artist by testing my ability from drawing smaller pics to bigger and more detailed sketches. I began to draw sketches of outfits, thinking ahead and drawing dresses for prom and weddings. I just never thought of fashion as a career until I grew older and discovered that there are many careers I can obtain with a fashion degree. As a teenager I found all of my inspirations through magazines and I have always wanted to be either the designer who made  those outfits, the person who dressed the models or just anything that can draw me closer to my love of fashion. Why fashion and not an artist? Well because I feel that fashion combines my interest in art and clothes. I just felt that making garments was a way to bring my vision and creativity to life and to be able to make someone feels good in the garment they  wore became a dream for me.
I created this blog as an expression of my love for fashion and creativity. Everyone is different in so many ways and although there may be millions of other people who may love fashion just as much as I do, but the fact that I am my own person I can tell my story and spread my creativity different from the next fashionista. This blog is also a way for me to gain more knowledge about something I really love to do and hopefully build a career off of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment